It’s no secret that college today is practically unaffordable: tuition has increased 440% over the last 25 years and with student loan debt at a record-breaking high, students are desperately seeking help where they can. Scholarships can help to alleviate the burden of paying for a higher education and there are some pretty unique offers out there. Keep reading to discover the top 12 weirdest scholarships and click here to learn more about the college affordability crisis.
1. Duck Brand Stuck at Prom Scholarship Contest
Be the most creative duct tape prom dress designer and receive money for college – win-win!
2. Scholar Athlete Milk Mustache of the Year (SAMMY) Award
If you are a student-athlete high school senior with a GPA of at least 3.20, you can enter to win a $7,500 scholarship as well as a trip to Disney World and a spot in a Milk Mustache ad.
3. Potato Industry Scholarship
The National Potato Council awards a $5,000 scholarship to an Agribusiness graduate student.
4. National Marbles Tournament Scholarship
You’ve lost your marbles if you don’t go for this one — children between the ages of 8 and 14 who are skilled in the game of marbles can receive up to $2,000 in scholarship funds.
5. Excellence in Predicting the Future Award
This scholarship is granted to students who are good at predicting the financial market.
6. American Association of Candy Technologists Scholarship
College students studying food sciences could qualify for this $5,000 scholarship. Pretty sweet!
7. Michigan Llama Association (MLA) Scholarship
Sign us up — being a member of the MLA is the only requirement to obtain this scholarship!
8. Tall Clubs International Scholarship
You can join the Tall Club and be qualified for a $1,000 scholarship if you are a male who’s at least 6’2″ or a female who’s at least 5’10”.
9. Society of Vacuum Coaters Foundation Scholarship
If you have a love for the art of vacuum coating you could be awarded this $2,500 scholarship.
10. Zombie Apocalypse Scholarship
Do you have a foolproof plan for the inevitable zombie apocalypse? If so, you are eligible for this scholarship.
11. Jif Most Creative Sandwich Contest
Paying for college can put you in a sticky situation — but this $25,000 scholarship from Jif sure would help out quite a bit.
12. Flavor of the Month Scholarship
What flavor of ice cream would you be and why? Answer that question in essay-form and this scholarship is yours!